Thursday, February 8, 2007

The Orphanage Tour

Meeting the orphanage director.
The Adopting Families and Administrative Staff

Having Fun with Mommy at Lunch


Sisters doing Lunch



Elainea's Abandonment Site




Most people who succeed in the face of seemingly impossible conditions are people who simply don't know how to quit.
Robert Schuller







Today we visited the Haikou Social Children’s Institute where Elainea lived for the past two years. I do not think there was any parent that knew what to expect. We were very anxious as we drove up. I put Elainea in her carrier so I could keep her close because I did not know what she would expect. Many of the parents were not going to go to the orphanage until our guide advised us that although it is optional, it is an experience that can benefit the families by giving them closure. We all decided to go except for one parent that stayed behind with one child. Five little children that had just learned how to smile again were going to return to the only home they knew. How would this turn out?
We arrived at the orphanage and went to the administrative building. The director and assistant director of the orphanage greeted us and gave us a photo album with baby pictures of our children. He also gave us a Chinese passport for our children. He told us that they would like to stay in touch with the families to know that the children are well and thriving. They in turn would stay in contact with us and answer any questions or help address any issues that may arise. We then went downstairs and out to the orphanage. We went inside the gate and were immediately surrounded by children. We looked at the playground and saw the children interacting with one another. We then took family and group photos in front of the building. It was then that I recognized Elainea’s nanny among a group of women. I smiled at her and she smiled back at me. She came over to Elainea and immediately wanted to hold her. Elainea cried because I could not get her out of the carrier fast enough. I was overwhelmed with emotions. I was happy to see that someone who cared for her so much was involved in her life, and it is obvious that Elainea cares for her in return. Another part of me was jealous that my child cared so deeply for another woman and called her MaMa. I was so overwhelmed and did not know what to do. What could I do besides cry…. I cried because of all the anxiety that I felt, the grief that I have experienced with her, and the wound that was just reopened. The nanny held her for a little while and then whispered something to the effect of good-bye and go to your new mommy now. Elainea just screamed and cried. I held her close and looked at some of the Nannies and told them Thank You. They nodded their head in acknowledgement. The idea of seeing the Nanny again in the orphanage went we would go inside was too much.
I took Elainea back to the bus and she calmed down. Joe, Hannah, Grandma and Rose toured the orphanage. The orphanage was very clean, organized and the staff love the children. The Chinese people in general love children. They are as well cared for as they have the means. Many people here live in shanties and life is hard. These children although on the verge of malnutrition are totally well adjusted and fun-loving. They have been provided the best life that can be given to them. I am so glad that we visited the orphanage. I was glad that the Nanny was able to see that she would be well-loved.
I worried that Elainea would sink back into the sadness that we had seen for the first few days. I was relieved when we finally left.
On the way back to the Hotel we stopped at the market and she fell asleep in my arms. She woke up when we sat down at KFC to eat and that is when she really warmed up to us. She started feeding me and laughing with me. She has a sense-of-humor that is so fun. She laughed and we had fun playing during lunch. Since then we have been back at the room kicking a ball and playing with balloons. She is drawing with her big sister right now. How much richer and fulfilling all our lives will be because of her becoming part of it.
I vow that I will keep in contact with the orphanage so they know that she will be given the same type of love that she has already received.
Tomorrow we are off to Sanya to enjoy the beach!

No comments: